My friend Sally said I should blog about my seminary experience, and as I tend to agree with most of what Sally says, here it begins.
I was accepted to Virginia Theological Seminary last week and pretty immediately wrote back to secure my spot in the incoming M.Div. class. I also gave my supervisor my resignation, which was a great relief (last day in office will be end of June, since house is supposed to close earlier that month). I have been in this job--raising money for academics at my alma mater--for almost seven years now, and most days I feel like I could do it in my sleep. Most days I'd rather do it in my sleep.
Also, seven years is a really long time for me; I averaged only a couple of years at most of my other jobs. I was always sort of searching for something more meaningful to me, I suppose, and I think I finally found it. Or probably more accurately, it found me. Either way, the Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi is sending me to seminary in the hope that while there I'll be formed into a priest.
I feel a long way from that right now and am possibly experiencing a little separation anxiety--I have found myself a bit annoyed with almost everything in the last week or so. I think it is sinking in that I'm leaving, though I haven't let myself think too much about the difficulty of moving out of this very secure environment. It will be hard. I have terrific friends here in Oxford, and I'll be moving away from my mother, niece, nephews, sister, brother, and my grandparents (not to mention a whole host of aunts, uncles and cousins) here in Mississippi. And if seminary is the place that will form me as a priest, St. Peter's is the place that has formed me as a follower of Christ. Again, moving on won't be easy.
But, I keep hearing Julian of Norwich's words these days, and I do believe that all manner of things will in fact be well. And as hard as leaving will be, I am of course crazy thankful for the opportunity to be a seminarian and eventually a priest. I cannot imagine anything better.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.