Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I feel like we are unlocking the mysteries of the universe in Hebrew. For example, I knew that Psalm 119 was divided into sections headed by the letters of the Hebrew alphabet, but I sort of assumed that was just because it's really, really long. I had no idea it's one of several acrostics in the Bible and that all the words for a particular section begin with the letter that heads that section. Apparently, no one else in my class knew this either, since there was a very loud collective "oooh" as a result of this explanation. Even more fascinating, is that in Hebrew the word that means "heart" also means "mind." There's no separation between heart and mind. Astonishing. As my teacher, the fabulous Judy Fentress Williams (aka J.F.Dubs), said, the reason Hebrew is so terrific is the worldview. I think I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.